Citrus fruits such as lemon, grapefruit, orange, tangerine etc. are commonly used because of the numerous health benefits they provide. The fresh aroma of these fruits makes them an excellent addition in numerous dishes however they also have therapeutic properties. The best thing is that you can grow a citrus tree in your own home and always have a fresh fruit at your reach. We are going to explain how you can grow a lemon tree.
Lemons are a refreshing and super healthy fruit because of the numerous nutrients such as antioxidants, vitamin B and C as well as due to the anti-inflammatory properties they have. Lemons have the ability to strengthen your immune system and provide you more energy.
- 1 lemon
- Quality soil
- Breathable plastic film
- Container or pot
Note: The lemon tree will only grow if placed in a sunny area.
- Fill the container with the soil leaving 1 inch of space below the rim. Dampen it with a little water.
- Remove the seed from the lemon and clean it. Be careful not to dry it out.
- Poke a hole in the soil about ½ inch deep and plant the seed. Cover the seed with soil and water it.
- Place the plastic film over the pot in order to keep the soil moist, and place it in a sunny area.
Note: The seed should not be watered too often. After it starts sprouting in about 1-2 weeks, remove the plastic film and place it in direct sunlight.
Taking proper care of a lemon tree
- Once sprouted the plant requires regular watering, but make sure not to water it too much.
- Keep the plant exposed to direct sunlight at least 8 hours every day.
- You can add fertilizer if you want to.
- The pot can be kept in the garden or inside facing a window with sunlight.